Surry Community College uses SCC Alert (through Blackboard Connect) as part of its emergency notification process. Should an emergency occur, the College can notify the campus community using SCC Alert, a mass notification service. In addition, the College can also use an on-site public address system as well as the college website to notify students, faculty, and staff with important information.
SCC Alert contacts students, faculty, and staff through email accounts, text messages to cell phones, and phone calls to home and cell phones. Employees will also be notified on their work phones. Messages may be posted to Facebook, Twitter, and RSS feeds as well.
Emergencies may include, but are not limited to:
- Bomb Threats or other imminent violent threats
- Fire alarms, natural gas leaks and hazardous spills
- Building evacuations and lock downs
- Biological or pandemic emergency notifications
- Natural disasters
- Power outages and utility failures
- Campus closure due to declared civil emergency
- Inclement weather situations
How It Works
Surry Community College will send messages to students, faculty, and staff through home, work, and cell phones, email, and text messaging:
- When you receive a call from SCC Alert, your caller ID will display “336-386-3535”
- When you receive an SCC Alert text message, your caller ID will display “23177” or "63079"
- You may wish to save this number in your contact list as “SCC Alert”
- For emails, the email ID will be from SCCalert@surry.edu
Contact Information Needed
To fully participate in this system, students and employees need to provide the college with complete contact information including a cell phone number and a personal email address. Students will be asked for contact information during registration.
Any updates should be made in Student Development. Employee information should be updated through Human Resources.
Methods of emergency notification include:
- Internal Public Address System on campus
- Surry Community College website at www.surry.edu
- SCC Alert messages
- Messages posted to Facebook, Twitter, and RSS Feeds
- Fire alarm systems
- Mass email notifications to students and employees
- Internal broadcast phone messages to campus phones
For more information
SCC Alert Videos
SCC Information and ALERTS
Senior Institution Registration for Alerts and Information
STUDENTS ENROLLED AT GARDNER-WEBB, LEES MCRAE, APPALACHIAN STATE, AND WINSTON-SALEM STATE WHO ATTEND CLASSES AT THE SURRY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DOBSON CAMPUS, MAY SIGN UP FOR ALERTS AND INFORMATION BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW.
(link for Dobson campus students)
STUDENTS ENROLLED AT APPALACHIAN STATE WHO ATTEND CLASSES AT THE SURRY COMMUNITY COLLEGE YADKIN CAMPUS, MAY SIGN UP FOR ALERTS AND INFORMATION BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW.
(link for Yadkin Center students)