Getting Started with Surry Online
You have registered for your first online class. What do you do now?
Getting off to the right start will make all the difference.
The things you need to do to get started are:
Computer Hardware, Software, and Browser Settings
- What are the computer requirements?
- Verify that Java is installed and working.
Java must be installed for many of the activities run on Moodle or other course websites that you will need to access for your online course. Check to see if you have the correct version of Java. Click the "Do I have Java?" link just below the Download button. Next, click the "Verify Java Version" button to test your Java version.
- Turn off your Pop-up Blockers.
Both the Google and Yahoo toolbars have their own pop-up blockers. Be sure to turn pop-up blockers off when accessing your online course.
- Enable cookies in your browser, whether you use Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, or Opera.
Note: Time Warner Cable customers, who have installed the "CA Internet Securities" package available from Time Warner, also have settings that could disable cookies apart from the browser. Visit this website for details. If you still cannot login to Moodle, after having made the changes listed on the Help website, you should call the Customer Support number provided to you by Time Warner Cable.
- Add Surry Online to your “Trusted Sites” in your Internet browser.
- What special software or supplies will I need for my online courses?
To see what special software or supplies are needed for your online course, go to Knight Life and search for your course. Once your course is displayed, click the “Course Section Name and Title” link to view the required supplies.
Knight Life, Moodle, and Student Email Login Information
- When will I get my user account information?
You can get your user account information from Knight Life on the next business day after you have registered for classes.
- I can’t login to Knight Life.
If you cannot login to Knight Life or need your Knight Life password reset, you should contact the IT Help Desk at (336) 386-3434.
- How do I find my user name and password?
Note: Changing your password in Knight Life does not change your password in Moodle or your SCC student email account. You must change your password in all three portals individually.
- How do I access my Surry Student email account?
- How do I login to Moodle?
- How do I see my courses once I am logged into Moodle?
- When can I login to Moodle?
New users will not be able to access Moodle until the first day of the Moodle Orientation.
- I can’t login to Moodle.
If you have retrieved your user account information for Knight Life, are using the correct password information, and you still cannot login to Moodle, you can contact the Help Desk at (336) 386-3434 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When will the Moodle Orientation be made available to me?
You will find the orientation date in the Announcements.
- Do I have to complete the Moodle Orientation?
If you have never taken an online course at SCC, you must complete the Moodle Orientation by midnight, the day before classes begin. If you have successfully completed and online course within the past two years, you do not have to complete the Moodle Orientation again.
- How should I conduct myself in my online course?
Students should follow the Netiquette Guidelines for Students.
- When will my online course begin?
Your Internet class will begin the same day as regular classes begin after 3 p.m.
- When do I have to access my online course?
You should login to each of your online courses on the first day of class. Students who have not accessed their online course by the end of the Census date will be removed from their courses.