Inclement Weather Policy
Extreme weather conditions during the winter months may require Surry Community College to cancel or delay classes. Weather conditions must be extreme before classes will be cancelled. Two decisions are possible in the mornings:
- Surry Community College will be closed.
- The college will delay its opening.
A decision to close the college or operate on a delayed schedule will be announced no later than 7:00 a.m. (usually earlier), and by 4:00 p.m. for evening classes. If no announcement is made, classes will operate on a regular schedule. If classes are cancelled or delayed, faculty and staff workday is also cancelled or delayed, unless otherwise specified.
Suggestions for Students, Faculty, and Staff
- Listen to one of the following radio or television stations for information:
- WBOB - Galax (1360 AM)
- WBRF - Galax (98.1 FM)
- WCOK - Sparta (1060 AM)
- WFDD - Winston Salem (88.5 FM)
- WHHV - Hillsville (1400 AM)
- WIFM - Elkin (100.9 FM)
- WKZL - Winston Salem (107.5 FM)
- WMAG - Winston Salem (99.5 FM)
- WPAQ - Mount Airy (740 AM)
- WSJS - Winston Salem (600 AM)
- WSYD - Mount Airy (1300 AM)
- WYZD - Dobson (1560 AM)
- WFMY-TV - Greensboro (Channel 2)
- WGHP-TV - High Point (Channel 8)
- WXII-TV - Winston Salem (Channel 12)
- WXLV-TV - Winston Salem (Channel 45)
- Any decision to delay or cancel will be available on the automated message of the main campus phone number (336) 386-8121 and on the college website.
- A decision to close early will be implemented so that everyone gets the message as close to the same time as possible. No classes are to dismiss before receiving an official message. A decision to close means that faculty and staff may also leave after reasonably assuring all students in their charge have been released. Any exception to the early release of faculty and staff will be announced.
- There could be a distinction made between day and evening classes. Evening classes officially start with the 4:00 p.m. classes.
- If the announcement states "Surry Community College classes are canceled," the college is also closed for faculty and staff unless the announcement specifies otherwise. A delayed schedule also applies to faculty and staff unless specified otherwise.
- A morning delay would generally be 1 or 2 hours.
- Again, if no announcement is made, classes will operate on a regular schedule!
- In the case of other forms of severe weather, view our severe weather information.
If you have questions concerning this policy, contact a member of the college administrative staff.
Career and College Promise and Early College High School Students
You are expected to follow the same class attendance schedule as all other SCC students. Only under the following conditions will we deviate from this policy.
- If the public schools close early due to threatening weather conditions, Huskins, dual-enrolled, and Early College students will be sent home at the same time as their high school counter parts.
- If the college remains open after the public schools have closed, those Huskins, dual-enrolled, and Early College High School students will not be required to come to the college to attend classes.
Students will be allowed to make up missed work without penalty. The instructors will still record the students' absences on the roster; however, these absences should not be counted toward the instructors' maximum number of allowed absences. Students should be encouraged to save any excused absences given by college instructors for this kind of situation.
Since geographic areas and conditions vary in our service area, it is imperative that all students use good judgment, and they should avoid driving in dangerous conditions.
If a Warning is Issued or Threatening Weather Approaches
- In a home or building, move to a pre-designated area, such as a basement.
- Stay away from windows.
- Move to an interior room or hallway on the lowest floor and get under a sturdy piece of furniture. (Do not use the elevator to move to lower levels.)
Information of interest
- Get out of automobiles.
- Do not try to outrun a tornado in your car; instead, leave it immediately.
- Mobile homes, even if tied down, offer little protection from tornadoes and should be abandoned.
Occasionally, tornadoes develop so rapidly that advance warning is not possible. Remain alert for signs of an approaching tornado. Flying debris from tornadoes causes most deaths and injuries.
Key Weather Terminology
Tornadoes are possible in your area. Remain alert for approaching storms.
A tornado has been sighted or indicated by weather radar. If a tornado warning is issued for your area and the sky becomes threatening, move to your pre-designated place of safety.
Severe Thunderstorm Watch
Severe thunderstorms are possible in your area.
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Severe thunderstorms are occurring.
Remember, tornadoes occasionally develop in areas in which a severe thunderstorm watch or warning is in effect. Remain alert to signs of an approaching tornado and seek shelter if threatening conditions exist and stay as calm as possible.
Note: The college will use email, phones, the intercom system, and personnel to keep each of you advised as much as possible. We also may notify students using SCC Alert (our mass notification system) and social media such as Facebook and Twitter.